Monday, August 17, 2009

DIY Photo blocks

I've been wanting to make these for a while, and they turned out just how I pictured them! I think I spent maybe seven dollars, for the blocks and paint. The paper I had was scraps, (don't throw away your scraps! I have mine organized by stripes, poka-dots, flowers, etc...and it makes it so much easier to use them up) Okay back to the blocks.....

There are some other things I used that are not pictured.... But you'll see as you scroll down...


The first thing I did was carefully pop the letters off the blocks. I just used a butter knife, nothing fancy... Then I sanded down the edges just to soften the blocks up.



Then I painted the blocks green. When they were done drying I distressed the edges. it's hard to tell in the pics but I promise I'm not lying. I also painted the edges of the letters blue, that way they'd pop! against the green.....



The glare is horrible I know, I apologize... The next step is finishing the letters. I traced them, cut them out, and the sanded the edges. Using this technique helps people like me who aren't good with scissors, and can't follow the line they traced....



Now drill a hole for the craft wire. You can measure to find the middle, but I just guessed... I used the smallest drill bit we had, and it was still a little to big. So when I put the craft wire in I just used some hot glue to help it stay in place.



Sometimes I forget to take pictures along the way, so lets jump ahead... The craft wire was really easy to use. I just pinched the end with my wire cutters and started slowly spinning. If you try to make these you'll see what I'm talking about, but I can't think of any other way to explain it. I would of taken a picture but its tricky when you only have two hands....

And no that is not "Ben" thats my son Jacob. I thought about making them for my husbands desk at work, but 5 letters just seemed like two many. So I made them for his co-worker...Hope you like them!

I got the blocks and paint at Hobby Lobby. They were 1.99 each, but the "unfinished wood" always goes on sale 50% off. But for some reason it's never on sale when I need it..weird how that works...



3 comments:

Donnie said...

How awesome!! Thank you, Shannon! I'm so excited to get a featured craft from your new blog. I was reading it and wondering who Ben was... :) I can't wait to put them up on my desk here at work. Matt will have to look at the second cutest boy on the planet every time he turns right! I'm glad you are posting about your crafts. I enjoy seeing the fun stuff you make (i.e. crafting vicariously through you).
Donnie

Gretchen Edwards said...

I love that you use my pictures for your beautiful crafts! =)

Jen Western said...

These are so cute! I need to go to Hobby Lobby more. I am excited about your new blog, I have so much to learn from you about crafts. You told me you started this blog, and it inspired me to start my craft blog too! You need to make a button (I have no idea how, my brother did it for me)