Thursday, September 3, 2009

MDF boards are the best!

A few weeks ago we (Matt and I) made these...And hung them above our desk, where I do all my crafts.




So heres the story..

We got the MDF at home depot, and they even cut them down for us. Awesome right?!? Well the guy must of measured wrong because instead of 12x12's we got 12x12 1/4. You would think no big deal right but it was kind of a pain having to cut the paper down. Also did I mention you have to buy the whole board! I was hoping we could buy it by the foot but nope. So I was kinda annoyed. BUT! we had him cut the whole thing down, so I ended up with about 15 extra boards to do whatever with!

Heres a couple of the other things I made...

This one was a Birthday present.


And this now has a home in my living room. I just love this saying, and I need to be reminded of it everyday!

Now you might be wondering how do you make these!! Well it took some trial and error, but in the end I got them to work just how I wanted.

So here we go. First go to home depot and the get the boards. You could do this project with couple friends, and then split the cost of the huge MDF board. I bought the thinnest one just an FYI. And get some spray paint, and begin by spray painting the edges.


Once they are done drying, get your paper ready. I wanted a little border, so I trimmed mine down.

WARNING! Don't use spray adhesive!! Or at least don't use "Elmers." The paper started pealing off. It could of been the MDF or the paper? I don't know so after we got them all hung up and a few days pasted it really started to bug me. You could see all the little corners peeling up and it was so annoying! So I eventually peeled them off and used Mod podge as my adhesive (thanks to Jennifer for that little tip! You should check out her blog, "Just for Rachael") They look so much better now.

After I stuck the paper on I Mod Podged them and sanded over the top, just to distress them a little. Hope you enjoy!

I made a shelf to go up next to it, you'll see that in my next post!

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Trisha said...

This is so cute! I think this would be fun to do for Christmas and Halloween decorations! Do you still have extra boards? How much are they? If you want to do more call me and we can do them together! Oh by the way, did your mom tell you that we have a house to rent??!!! It's closer to you guys! It's off of Williams Field and Higley. We should get together soon!

Jen Western said...

I love it, those colors are awesome! Great job!

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to do this! I even ordered 9 canvases from Joanne's online, but they're itty - bitty. Now you've given me a great tutorial. Thanks so much!